ADHD is a common psychological and biological disorder. ADHD makes difficult to pay attention and unable to control their impulsive behaviour. Boys suffer more from ADHD as compare to girls. It is not only a childhood disorder but also occurs in adulthood.
ADHD in Teens & Children:
Children with ADHD may have trouble in concentrating, paying attention. They are constantly active, restlessness or hyperactive, easily distracted. They have difficulty in Managing time, setting goals.
Symptoms of ADHD in Toddlers are divided in three categories.
Inattention:(Difficulty paying attention)
- Distract easily
- Can’t wait for their turn
- Cannot concentrate and focus
- Switch to other task without completing the previous one
- Do careless mistakes
- Cannot follow the instructions and Routine
- Cannot organize daily tasks
- Irresponsible, Loses things.
Hyperactivity:( Being Overactive)
- Can’t stay seated
- Always restless
- Often bouncing when sitting
- Always running or climbing on things
- Can’t play quietly
- Talks excessively
Impulsivity:( Acting without thinking)
- Interrupt others
- Cannot wait for his turn
- Blurts out answer
ADHD in Adults:
- Low self esteem
- Problem at work
- Trouble controlling Anger
- Substance Abuse or Addiction
- Easily frustrated
- Mood Swings
- Relationship problems
What Causes ADHD:
There are several factors that cause ADHD. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Genes: ADHD runs in families as well as its genetic factors. According to research ADHD is inherited in some cases.
- Substance Abuse: Mothers who smoke or take drugs during pregnancy can lead to ADHD in her child.
- Brain Injury: people with ADHD have imbalance of Neurotransmitters in brain. Head stocks to the frontal lobe of the brain may cause ADHD because this area is responsible of emotions and Impulsivity.
- Birth complications: Children with Low Birth weight or premature birth may lead to ADHD.
How can we treat ADHD??
ADHD Treatment in Islamabad and Rawalpindi
Children and Adults with ADHD can be treated by Medications and Psychotherapies.
- Medication can control hyperactivity, impulsive behavior and increased attention span.
- Psychotherapy can help in controlling emotions and frustration, boost up self-esteem, helps family to how to behave with the victim.
- Special Education can help a child to structure a routine, manage activities and things. Learn discipline and manners.
- Behavior Modification helps in replacing bad and unwanted behaviors with a desired or good one.
- Social Skill Training helps a child in waiting for their turn, patience, sharing things with other ones.